Sunday 12 February 2012

RSS Feed:



Yesterday morning I spent some time figuring out how to set up an RSS feed through my yahoo account.  I am working a little ahead of my proposed inquiry project dates, but it became logical to set this up now, seeing as it is one of the ways I'd like to collect information to post on my wiki.  Prior to starting this process I reread chapter 5 in Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, as I felt I needed some reminders of what RSS feeds are, ways of setting them up, and possible uses for them. It took me a little time to fiddle and figure it out. Also, for further general understanding of RSS feeds, this link was helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS.  After some trial and error and some frustration about not just knowing how to do it,  these are steps I took and had success with once signed into my yahoo mail page:

1) Click on My Y at the top right hand corner
2) On the next page enter a topic into the search box
3) add this boxes show up and any with the RSS symbol can be double clicked on and added to my feed

This is how I can access my feeds:

1)repeat step 1 above
2)at the bottom on the page the feeds show up to click on and read

I ended up choosing just two different RSS feeds to start with as I know that if  too much is being sent to me the whole thing will become overwhelming.  My hope is to start reading through what is sent to me and pick out the useful information to then post on my wiki about growing vegetables.  Therefore the rss feeds I set up are both about the topic of growing vegetables.  

Although I now know how to set this up through yahoo, my understanding is that the steps are all a little different depending if you're using yahoo, or gmail or... But at least I know now how to make it work through yahoo, which I'm presently using as my email provider.

Personally I see great value in RSS feeds as if you have a topic of interest, there is a simple way to keep current on information about the topic.  Professionally, one could use if for the same reason and then with students it would be a great way for them to access a variety of information on a research topic.









No comments:

Post a Comment